Caza's Book Club

This is my blog where I can write about writing about my stories and my corsets.
Rules. Life has rules. Big rules, like: Don't Kill, or Don't Steal. Rules which are convention: Drive on the left (or the right, depending on where you are), Stop at Red lights.

So also, corset wearing has rules. Some are rules of thumb - like a corset will take 4-6 inches off your natural waist (depending on type and style). Some are for safety (of your corset) like always loosen the laces before opening the busk.

Others are to do with what you can and can't do while wearing your corset. Corset wearing for any length of time starts to impinge on more than your waist. It affects your life in significant ways. Some ways are obvious: bending at the waist is obviously more tricky. So the order in which you get dressed is important - if you're wearing tights for example, you need to put them on first, otherwise there'll be un-lacing, or a different wardrobe choice!

And of course, it affects what you can wear. Actually, with an underbust corset there's surprisingly little you can't wear.

Then there's eating and drinking. Fizzy drinks are a really bad idea. With your tummy compressed, the gas in the drink tries to expand, and can't, and having no place to go makes you feel uncomfortable and bloated. So they're out.

Too much food is also a problem. Food should be taken in small amounts, often, rather than a few big meals. This helps it pass though your digestive system easier, and doesn't just end up in a big lump in the stomach. And you should chew very well and generally eat slowly.

Now that's a lot of theory. How am I doing in practice? I realised today that I need to change my life. If I'm seriously tight lacing daily, which I appear to be, I've got to change my lifestyle to match. For example, today, someone bought me lunch which was nice, and I got some soup, mostly on the basis that its liquidly and would probably go down easier. Well, actually I got it because it looked particularly tasty and yummy. Unfortunately it was full of chicken and vegetables and was rather more like a stew. And I wasn't slow eating it. I sat and my desk and ate at my normal speed. And I ate it all. I've loads of habits, which normally wouldn't be a problem, but which I really need to do something about.

I should have looked for the lightest soup, really - few lumps so my squished digestive system can accommodate and take in. Then, eaten slowly! There is no rush to eat. But I come from a family of fast eaters, so am in that habit.

And finally, not feel bad about leaving food. I think my parents programmed me to always finish what's on my plate. "There's children starving in Africa who'd like that" they'd say. So everything went in. But who's to say that a plate full or bowlful is the right amount? And there's little chance of getting the food to an african children anyway, especially if they want it piping hot :)

So I mustn't be afraid to just say to myself that I've eaten enough and I don't need to eat an more. Unless, of course, I can leave it until later, and space out my eating. Effectively have 5-6 smaller meals in a day, rather than the conventional 3.

But these are big changes - food and drink habits are learned from a young age and are hard to break. I'm going to try, though.

The thing I really miss, though, is a good satisfying sneeze. Sneezing while corseted is almost excruciating - there is no space for it to go, and a good chance of damaging either yourself or the corset. So they need stifling, or turning into nose blows before they develop. Those I shall miss.

However, I love my corseted waist more.

xoxo

CazaDolly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment